Skip to content

Brexit effects in Belgium

As a result of the Brexit, British citizens who wish to work in the Brussels Capital Region (as an employee or self-employed) after 31 December 2020 must undertake certain steps, according to one of the two following cases:

A) A British citizen who has a residence permit that is valid on 31 December 2020 will have to apply for a specific residence document as soon as possible after receiving a letter from the Immigration Office. A British citizen working and residing in Belgium will have to apply to their municipality of residence for an M card.

B) A British citizen working in Belgium but residing in another country (cross-border worker) will have to apply to the municipality where they work for an N card. Holders of an M or N card will be authorized to work in Belgium, as an employee or self-employed. To obtain more comprehensive information on the professional card, visit the website of Brussels Economy and Employment

Contractors who expect being hired in Belgium should speed-up with the registration before the end of December 2020.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at +44 20 7017 3110 or [email protected]