Skip to content

Working in Sweden as a Foreign National

Sweden is known for its high quality of life, efficient public services and free education. A relaxed lifestyle and spectacular landscape make the Scandinavian nation an attractive destination. The best part is that many people speak and understand English, making it easier for foreign nationals to fit in. The country has the highest GDP among the 5 Nordic countries. According to the OECD, it is one of the most innovative nations globally

Who Needs a Visa to Work in Sweden? 

If you belong to any of the following categories, you Do NOT need a permit to work in Sweden: 

  • Citizens of the EU/EEA and Switzerland. 
  • Individuals with a permanent or student (college/university) residence permit. 
  • Asylum seekers. 
  • Visiting researchers with special residence permits. 

Therefore, third-party nationals or residents with a temporary Swedish visa need to apply for a work permit for employment in Sweden. 

Types of Work Permit Visas in Sweden

You can apply for the following types of work permits:  

Intra-company transfer 

Individuals relocated by their employer are issued this visa. The employer must apply and get approvals from the Swedish Immigration Board or Embassy closest to them. 

Sweden Work Permit 

For this work permit, the employer sponsors the work visa to hire foreign workers. 

Business Visa 

This is a temporary permit valid for 90 days, applied for by business delegates from non-EU nations. It does not allow individuals to seek jobs in the country. 

Self-Employment Visa 

This work plus residence permit is for freelancers, entrepreneurs and self-employed non-EU citizens. You must obtain this visa before entering the country. 

Working Holidays Visa 

This is a 1-year visa issued to people aged 18 to 30 years. It is only available for residents of certain nations. 

EU Blue Card 

This EU-wide work-plus residence permit is issued only to highly skilled professionals with proven qualifications and work experience.  

Let the Experts Take Care of it All 

It can be challenging to figure out how to employ a team and set up payroll in Sweden; it requires great attention to detail and a deep understanding of local best practices.  

We provide a complete set of services in Sweden, allowing corporate clients, recruitment agencies and professional contractors to operate in the best manner possible while ensuring that we handle all the local employment obligations. Access Financial offers the following solutions/services in Switzerland:  

• Employed  

• Employer of Record (EOR)  

• PSC/Limited Company  

• Work Permit/Visa sponsorship for third-country nationals 

If you would like to discuss how Access Financial can help, please get in touch with us at [email protected]