Contracting in Germany
Here’s everything you need to know about contracting in Germany.
Employer of Record
In each country, we work with leading local accounting and taxation experts to ensure that we and those who depend on us stay entirely within the law.
With an AUG license, we have the authorisation to engage in labour-leasing in Germany no matter the nationality of the contractors.
We have offices in Switzerland (Head Office), the United Kingdom, Germany, Luxembourg, Cyprus, China, India, Malaysia and the UAE.
We listen carefully to you, understand your personal requirements and needs, and then we collaborate with you to provide our services at reasonable prices.
Access Financial is the leading global provider of contract management, outsourced payroll and umbrella services. With an AuG license, we have the authorisation to carry out labour leasing activities in Germany and able to help corporations, recruitment agencies and contractors to take full advantage of the potential and flexibility of the German market.
Please check out our FAQs below. Don’t see an answer to your question? Feel free to contact us
What is an AuG licence?
AUG is a German labour-leasing licence required to engage in staff leasing in Germany and ensure that German and foreign contractors work compliantly under the German tax system.
With an AUG licence held by our AuG partner, we have the authorisation to carry out labour leasing activities in Germany and help corporations, recruitment agencies, and contractors take full advantage of the potential and flexibility of the German market.
What are the benefits of AuG?
- Ideal for temporary positions of less than an eighteen-month duration.
- It is the only solution where there is not sufficient independence for the contractor to be a freelancer (Freiberufler); there may be Scheinselbstständigkeit – disguised employment.
- Simple to set up and to end.
- AüG provides flexibility for the end-client, the recruitment business and the worker.
- Less expensive than setting up a German company.
What is a Professional Employment Organisation (PEO) or Employer of Record (EOR)?
A PEO or EOR enables organisations to employ staff lawfully in a country with no local entity.
As a global professional employer organisation (PEO) service provider, we enter into a joint-employment relationship with an employer by leasing employees to the employer. This arrangement allows us to share and manage many employee-related responsibilities and liabilities, such as onboarding, payroll and taxes, legal administration, employee health and retirement benefits and many more issues. At the same time, the client has day-to-day control of the employee.
Setting up a local company or branch is time-consuming and costly.
PEO is the fast, safe route to mobilising a workforce fast and leave the administration to us whose business it is.
Why choose us as your PEO service provider?
- We have eight offices and thirty group companies worldwide and work in league with local employment law specialists, tax advisers, immigration and payroll specialists and HR firms.
- Onboarding in as little as 48 hours.
- We make the salary payments and invoicing on time every time.
- We ensure total tax and employment compliance
- We help expand your business quickly, compliantly, and cost-effectively.
The Pros and Cons of the Employed Solution
- Quick and straightforward to administer.
- Immediate compliance
- The employer may be able to sponsor work permits if they are needed.
- No qualifications are required.
- Employment offers employment protection to the worker with more onerous obligations on the employer and the client.
- The worker may be able to use an A1 to remain in the home social security system.
- The employed solution does away with the risk of deemed employment.
- The contract value must bear the employer social costs.
- Lower retentions.
- There are statutory notice periods under employment law, which can be lengthy.
- An employed person cannot claim the same range of tax-deductible expenses as can a self-employed person.
- There are other statutory employer obligations such as Equal Treatment and the Working Time Directive.
The Pros and Cons of the Self-Employed and the Limited Company (PSC) Solutions
- There are no employer social charges to bear, so that the retentions tend to be higher.
- The contractor is freer to undertake other assignments if this is a consideration.
- The contractor is in business on their account as a career independent.
- Some income can be taken as dividends in the limited company, bringing down the overall tax and social security burden and tax timing.
- You may be able to use an A1 to remain in the home social security system.
- The limited company has limited liability, which the self-employed worker does not.
- The limited company is an enduring vehicle for independent contracting.
- The self-employed person can claim more business expenses than an employee.
- The self-employed person does not enjoy employment law protection, including Equal Treatment, freedom from unfair dismissal and statutory notice periods.
- The worker must complete a tax return and pay over their taxes.
- A self-employed person usually must register for VAT.
- The contractor must arrange their insurances as there is no employer to do that.
- The work security is limited to the contract terms agreed.
- If a self-employed work permit is needed, these are more difficult to obtain and take longer than employed ones.
We can apply for a blue card (employed work permit) for non-EU nationals. The conditions are:
- The contract must be for a minimum of 13 months
- The degree or diploma must be recognised by the German authorities (Anabin)
- A gross annual salary of at least EUR 44,304 (in 2021) is required for employees in mathematics, IT, natural sciences, engineering and human. In all other fields, there is a minimum gross annual salary of EUR 56,800.
An employed work permit takes between 2 to 6 weeks for approval.
Every person resident in Germany is obliged to hold appropriate health insurance. Employed persons can obtain this either through government-approved schemes or by taking private health insurance. At Access Financial, we partner with trusted insurance providers that can help you get the proper coverage.
My take-home pay in Germany
If you would like to discover your tax and net retention in Germany, you can easily use our free online income calculator.
Our services are aimed at customer satisfaction, always ensuring the best value for money, compliance and maximum take-home pay possible in Germany.
Work Permits &
Employer of Record
Tax & Legal
We’re proud of what we do, but you shouldn’t just take our word for it. Here’s what our clients are saying about us.
“After several years of collaboration with you, I regret to announce my departure from AF. It has been a real pleasure to have made this part of road with you, and I wish you full success with other collaborators. I regret my departure from your company, but the rules decided otherwise. If there is anything to remember about AF, it is the clarity, the honesty and the discretion. Thank you for all the good years spent with you and all the services you have given me.”
“I’ve been using Access Financial services for more that one year and so far I’m fully satisfied with my choice. The company is providing prompt and valid support to all my needs as contractor and I recommend it.”
“I want to take this opportunity to thank you for the good experience I’ve had the last 3 years working with AFS. I feel a sense of trust in AFS and for me that is what is most important in any business relationship.”
“I would like to thank Access Financial Team for all your help on my urgent matter. A special mention to Louise and her commitment to help me promptly and in any possible way, even by disturbing some of her annual leave. You’re very lucky to have such people within your team!”
“I want to thank Access Financial for your assistance with immigration without which my assignment would not have been possible. My special thanks to Team Europe, their service was very professional. They were always quick to respond, provide me with answers and solutions.”
“It was always a pleasure to work with AF. Before when I worked in Belgium and now in Germany, the service was always very pleasant. So yes, in the case I will need any umbrella company, I will surely contact only you.”
“It’s been a wonderful experience working with Access Financial”
“When it comes to outsourcing payroll services Access Financial is my #1 go-to company. Thank you for your great support.”
“What I love about Access Financial is their commitment to speed, professionalism and constant support.”
“If you are looking for someone to help you with contracting in EU, Access Financial would be an excellent choice.”
“I will let people know in my network with the services you provide. I like the transparency you work with.”
Germany Income & Tax Calculator 2023
Calculate your take-home pay in Germany using our online income calculator below.
Disclaimer: The calculation is an illustration based on various assumptions and is meant to provide an indication of what you may take home as net pay. For a more detailed projection please contact our customer support by clicking on the “TALK TO AN EXPERT” button above.
Let us call you
Please fill in the form below and we will contact you on short notice.